Yup, I used French. I’m going all Canadian-they-made-us-learn-it-in-school on you guys.
Special thanks to fellow Canadian-who-probably-also-had-to-learn-French Being Tori in Victoria for the Liebster nomination! Here’s the rules:
- Link back to the person who nominated you. (See above.)
- Give 11 random facts about yourself. (See below)
- Answer 11 questions from your nominator. (Ibid)
- Nominate 11 new and obscure bloggers. (Ibid)
- Come up with 11 questions for them to answer. (Ibid)
- Inform your nominees. (Not ibid, because that will be on their blogs.)
So here’s when you find out I’m 11 notches weirder than you originally thought:
- My current crafting obsession is loom bands. My grandmother gave me a bunch of elastics the last time I saw her.
- I wrote this entire post while listening to the songified batman argument on loop
- I donated my hair last Christmas. My brother says I went from Season 1 Korra to Season 4 Korra in my haircut.
- I’m more excited about animated movies than live-action.
- I will always spell “protein” wrong the first time around. (And as a biochemist in training, I use the word “protein” a lot.)
- I only read books 6-13 of the Series of Unfortunate Events.
- When I’m idle I twirl my pen around my fingers or play with my ear(ring).
- I played badminton in high school.
- I sing in the shower.
- My favourite band is Young the Giant.
- Favourite item of clothing: scarves.
1. Why did you create your blog? When did you start it?
Ah, the origin story, yet again. I’m cheating and linking to the master origin post. (It’s not really the master post, but hey, I swore in that post never to type it again!)
2. Other than reading, blogging, and watching tv, how do you fill your time?
Oh this is going to sound so sad: School. The institution that forces me to get up early each weekday, get on public transit that always contains at least one obnoxious person for a three hour round trip, sit through lectures, and then hands me homework in exchange for my money and a number on a piece of paper.
I also listen to lots of music, play guitar, sometimes do crafts, and cook.
3. As pleased as you are about this nomination, do you wish I hadn’t nominated you? Go ahead. Be honest. This award is a lot of work.
Why wouldn’t I have wanted to be nominated? I found another blogger, which is always fun. (Nice to meet you, Tori.)
4. Has blogging created a community around you that you never expected? Or are you a [wo]man on an island surrounded by a sea of blog posts?
I feel like it’s a bit of both. At first it as more of an island in a sea of posts. I’d follow other blogs, read, and comment every once in a while, but I never really felt like there was a community.
It was only really after doing BookBlogWriMo last year that I found a community of book bloggers who read the same stuff I read. They’re the people who’s blogs I go to once I finish a book to see if they have a review about it. They’re often in my comment section, and I’m often commenting on theirs. They’re also the people turn to when I have an award to nominate (nudgenudgewinkwink).
Of course, I’m still going around finding new blogs to follow, regularly checking the WordPress reader for any posts I’ll “Like” or “Comment” on. And it that way, it does feel like a sea. There are just more islands near by than when I started.
5. Can you list all 50 states alphabetically?
Alabama, Alaska…California, Colorado…Florida…Hawaii, Illinois…Michigan, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota…Oregon, Pennsylvania, (Puerto Rico?) Rhode Island…South Carolina, South Dakota, Texas…Virginia, Washington.
Have I reached 50 yet? (Are those even all states? I confuse them with the cities all the time.)
6. My blog is directly related to my day job—what do you do for a living? Is it reflected in your blog?
As alluded to in 2, I’m a student. I’m studying biochemistry (with MANY English electives), and am about to finish my third year. I would be graduating next year, but I’m enrolled in the co-op program at my school, and will be taking a year off school (though technically still registered as a student) to work in my field of study. I start working for a biotech company in May.
School was the reason I started blogging (refer to my answer to 1), but after the semester was over, I kepy blogging because I liked it.
7. Quick decision: Friends or Seinfeld?
8. Are you a roadtripper? Do you use maps or just go where the road takes you? Where was your last adventure?
I like to go travelling, but where I want to go either requires a plane or physically impossible means (ie. wardrobes, Floo powder, a time machine). On land travel, I tend to use maps, or else I will get lost. My last trip was to visit my family in the Philippines last summer.
9. How do you spend your Sundays?
Honestly? Sleeping in, church at noon with the family, some studying (because third year biochemistry students don’t have lives), cook dinner (I almost always cook on Sundays), and watch the latest episode of Once Upon a Time with my siblings.
10. Can you juggle?
If you mean juggling schoolwork, why yes, I can juggle.
If you mean the act of throwing things in the air and expertly catching them before throwing them back up into the air, then no. (The extent of my dexterity is typing on a keyboard.)
11. What is the one saying your grandparents always said that stuck with you?
It’s not really a saying, but I always remember my grandmother saying,”Ingat Ingat,” (pronounced ING-at ING-at) which means “take care” in Ilocano. My grandparents on my mother’s side live in the Philippines, and the last time I saw them (last summer) those were her farewell words to me.
My nominees are:
The Last Reader
Diary of an Introverted Schmuck
Addlepates and Booknerds
Blast of Random
Reviews of a Self Proclaimed Bibliophile
A Bit Behind On Books
Bookish Things and Tea
And here are my questions:
- Of the last three books you read, which would you burn, rewrite, and reread?
- Most used app on your phone?
- What is your favourite song at the moment?
- Favourite animated work (show or movie)?
- What’s the worst thing about blogging? (Because everything has a catch.)
- You are now the protagonist of the last movie you watched. How awesome (or doomed) are you?
- Do you have a lucky charm? What is it?
- Favourite dessert?
- We all had to read books for school. What is your least and most favourite book you were forced to read?
- Favourite fairytale?
- Who is your role model?
Congrats to the nominees (though if you feel like answering these questions too, consider yourself nominated!) And Happy Easter to everyone!